LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging)
OSRAM OS – your partner for LiDAR systems:
Depending on the applied LiDAR system and the distance of objects to be identified different degrees of the light sources EEL (»edge-emitting lasers«) and VCSEL (»vertical cavity surface emitting lasers«) are required. Only when EEL and VCSEL function complementary can the full potential of LiDAR be unleashed and the overarching goal of road safety be achieved. As an experienced innovation leader, OSRAM OS is the only player in the market that offers both – EEL and VCSEL solutions. Therefore, we are the right partner for you and your specific needs when it comes to LiDAR technology.
Our ambition – the best LiDAR solutions for you:
As we strive to fulfill and advance our role at the forefront of LiDAR technology, we are constantly expanding our LiDAR portfolio by focusing on research – all with the ultimate goal to create the best solutions. The latest product developments from OSRAM OS include a 10 W VCSEL chip that helps our customers in the 3D sensor industry to achieve higher performance and better efficiency.
LiDAR applications by OSRAM OS feature a broad range of benefits. Whether it is in terms of performance, resolution, design freedom or seamless integration in greater systems. Explore the benefits that make our LiDAR technology and products unique:
- Enhancing performance & reach
Technical advancements, particularly through optimizations in chip design and package, have made it possible to significantly increase performance of LiDAR within the operating limits. In addition, parameters such as pulse lengths have also been significantly improved.
- Ensuring high-resolution
Today’s LiDAR laser chips like the »SPL DP90_3« have a much narrower emission width of 120 µm. With its optical output of 65 W at 20 A, the component is ideally suited for capturing the immediate vehicle environment, thus ensuring high-resolution images for downstream systems.
- Empowering design freedom
The current generation of the »SPL DP90_3«, for example, is characterized not only by improved beam quality but also by particularly compact dimensions. Thanks to the chip’s space-saving footprint of only 0.3 mm x 0.6 mm, extremely compact designs are possible for system manufacturers.
- Enabling seamless integration
In autumn 2019, OSRAM presented the »SPL S4L90A«, the world’s first automotive-qualified (AEC-Q102) four-channel pulse laser for LiDAR applications. The special SMT package makes system integration of the high-power lasers much easier for system developers.
OSRAM OS is the only player in the market that offers EEL and VCSEL solutions
Nanostack Pulsed Laser Diode
- Qualifications: The product qualification test plan is based on the guidelines of AEC-Q102, failure mechanism based Stress Test Qualification for Discrete Optoelectronic Semiconductors in Automotive applications
- Reliable strained InGaAs material
- High power large-optical-cavity laser structure
- Nanostack laser technology including 3 epitaxially stacked emitters
- Die attach via glueing is recommended
Read more about Nanostack Pulsed Laser Diodes
VCSEL (vertical cavity surface emitting lasers)
High Power Density for short-, mid- and long-range measurements
- High power pulsing with GaN-FET based driver
- Driving conditions: 3.6 ns pulse, 0.1% duty cycle
- Peak pulse power of 147W at 64 A peak current
- Equivalent irradiance of 281W/mm2
Read more about VCSEL
OSRAM OS is the only player in the market that offers
- edge emitting laser (EEL)
- vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL)